Current:Home > StocksOliver James Montgomery-'We're not going out of business': As Red Lobster locations close, chain begins outreach -ProsperityEdge
Oliver James Montgomery-'We're not going out of business': As Red Lobster locations close, chain begins outreach
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 02:23:04
Red Lobster has spoken.
The Oliver James Montgomerycompany released a statement on social media Tuesday explaining its decision to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy Sunday. The seafood chain also recently closed dozens of locations across the country.
"Filing for bankruptcy does not mean we are going out of business," reads part of the statement. "In fact, it means just the opposite. It is a legal process that allows us to make changes to our business and our cost structure so that Red Lobster can continue as a stronger company going forward."
The company's bankruptcy filing and mass closings are the culmination of massive debt, a carousel of CEOs, an all-you-can-eat shrimp controversy and an overall decline in guests, according to bankruptcy filings. The company has struggled in various ways, including a 30% drop in guests since 2019.
"Recently, the debtors have faced a number of financial and operational challenges, including a difficult macroeconomic environment, a bloated and underperforming restaurant footprint, failed or ill-advised strategic initiatives, and increased competition within the restaurant industry," Red Lobster CEO Jonathan Tibus said in the 124-page document obtained by USA TODAY Tuesday.
When Tibus was retained as Red Lobster's chief revenue officer on Jan. 11, prior to being named CEO, he said that "it was immediately clear that Red Lobster’s performance was deteriorating and had been doing so for several years," according to the filing.
It wasn't just the endless shrimp:Red Lobster's troubles detailed in bankruptcy filing
Read the full Red Lobster statement below
The company posted its full statement on Facebook Tuesday. The post has over 32,000 likes and over 6,000 comments as of Wednesday morning.
Gabe Hauari is a national trending news reporter at USA TODAY. You can follow him on X @GabeHauari or email him at [email protected].
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- $1.3 billion Powerball winners revealed, cancer survivor said he 'prayed to God' for win
- Stock market today: Asian shares mostly rise to start a week full of earnings, Fed meeting
- Shark attacks and seriously injures British tourist in the Caribbean as friends fight off the predator
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Horoscopes Today, April 28, 2024
- U.S. and Mexico drop bid to host 2027 World Cup, Brazil and joint German-Dutch-Belgian bids remain
- Person of interest sought in shooting on Navajo Nation in northern Arizona
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Hyundai, BMW, Jaguar among 39,000 vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
Ranking
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Shark attacks and seriously injures British tourist in the Caribbean as friends fight off the predator
- California’s population grew in 2023, halting 3 years of decline
- Former NSA worker gets nearly 22 years in prison for selling secrets to undercover FBI agent
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Videos show where cicadas have already emerged in the U.S.
- Crypto exchange GaxEx is deeply integrating AI to usher in a new era of Web3 and AI development
- Book excerpt: Judi Dench's love letter to Shakespeare
Recommendation
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
Prosecutors at Donald Trump’s hush money trial zero in on the details
Louisiana Supreme Court rules for new City of St. George
Stock market today: Asian shares mostly rise to start a week full of earnings, Fed meeting
Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
Golden tickets: See what movie theaters are offering senior discounts
Family of a Black teen who was shot after ringing the wrong doorbell files lawsuit against homeowner
Tyson-Paul fight sanctioned as professional bout. But many in boxing call it 'exhibition.'